Re: Dead B, Part III

To: "Gary A. Graham" <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: Re: Dead B, Part III
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:02:40 +0000
Gary A. Graham wrote:

> I have found some problems with the distributor (small braided wire was
> toast - replaced, other wire to LT terminal was not soldered in,
> repaired) and have 12v at the points now. BUT, still no spark at coil or
> plugs (had weak spark from coil for a bit, gone now).

First make sure you have a voltage at the +ve side of the coil.  Remove the
king
lead from the distributor cap and wedge it near a ground.  Remove the wires to
the tach and contact points from the -ve or CB terminal of the coil.  Get a
ground wire and tap it on and off the -ve terminal of the coil.  If you don't
get
a small spark at the -ve terminal and a big spark at the king lead then the
coil
is duff.

If you do get a spark then the fault is probably with the points.  Do you still
get 12v at them with the points closed?  If so they are not grounding.

PaulH.