Re: [OT] Computer purchase question

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] Computer purchase question
From: Robert Alan Reisse <rareisse@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:24:42 -0400
At 08:34 PM 6/19/98 -0500, Tyson Sherman wrote:
>I've got a computer question for the list. My girlfriend is about to
>purchase a PC for home.  It looks like Pentium II 266mHz is the norm
>now.  Should she opt for 32 megs ram or 64?

Get the most memory and the largest disk that you can afford. Today's
software requires at least 32, but 64 will cut down considerably on disk
swapping.

Also, have you folks had
>luck with mail order places or purchasing them locally.  We've looked at
>gateway & midwest micro so far, both mail order.  Any good/bad
>experiences with these folks?  Thanks.

I have had some luck with Gateway.  Their online help and email service
need some work,but I have not had too much problem with use their 800
numbers to talk to humans.

Local machines are usually fine if you are not doing anything too exotic.
I have both Gateway and a local assembled machine.  All appear to work now
that the bugs are gone.  I will not relate the horror story of my first
gateway ( they did make it right eventuallly - no questions asked), but
have since bought four from them.

You might want to consider: http://www.onsale.com/  They sale a lot of
computer related products with a bidding system.  You can find some
bargains, but make sure you know what you are buying.

Bob Reisse