MGA update

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA update
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:48:17 -0500
The saga continues!  Friday night I got home with the A and started to work
on the stuck bonnet.  Normally I wouldn't have worried about it but with a
little over 100 miles on the rebuild and 150 mile planned for the next day,
 I wanted to check fluids and connections prior to hitting the road.  When
I pulled the release the bonnet came up about an inch.  this left a less
than 1/2 inch gap between the bonnet frame and the front shroud through
which I had to diagnose and, hopefully, fix whatever was stopping the
bonnet from opening.  After about 20 minutes of fiddling with a mirror and
a small flashlight on sticks,  I saw that the sheet metal "latch guide
plate" had been caught by the mushroom on the end of the latch pin.  My
previous frustration driven brute force attempts to open the bonnet had
bent this plate up and it now formed a Chines Handcuffs of sorts for the
latch pin.  After another half hour or so using assorted small tools to
loosen its grip with no success, I went over to neighbor Mike's garage for
a gander at his car to see if there was any other way to approach this
problem.  After some serious deliberation, we decided to cut the latch pin
off with a hack saw.  This would not have been an option- I needed the car
to drive- except Mike generously offered the latch pin from his A project
to me until such time as I can procure a replacement.  10 minutes with a
small hacksaw and the deed was done.  I removed the offending guide plate,
put washers on the latch attachment screws in its place, and put a large
round metal part- a bushing from a lawnmower blade or something like that-
on the bottom of the latch pin spring.  This was to stop the spring from
falling through the crossmember hole and fouling the latch mechanism.  It
all works so well that I just may leave it this way once I get the new
bonnet.  I don't know what the guide plate guided but it works fine without
it.

During this process, the reason for my misfortune was discovered.  There is
a large spring under the left fender that pulls the latch linkage home
after operation.  This spring had fallen off- upset no doubt during the
removal/replacement/tweaking of the motor.  No spring, no latch close,
bonnet opens.  I must have been unconsciencely pushing the linkage
partially home up until the fateful trip.  Why the safety catch failed is
beyond me.  Maybe the air under the bonnet bent it enough at 60 mph to pull
the safety catch free.  Any way,  mystery solved, I believe.

The A was about 1.5 quarts low on oil.  I filled it up.  I also filled the
radiator even though I knew that the extra would just be blown out on the
tarmac as soon as it warmed up.  Took off the next day for a softball
tournament- girls fastpitch for oldest daughter Lindsay.  We got a few
miles down the road and my side of the windscreen started to get wet.  I
tasted it and it was antifreeze.  I figured that the air pressure was
pushing the overflow from under the car up through the newly acquired fresh
air ducts along the bonnet edges.  The next time I looked at the engine,
however, I found the real reason.  I had forgotten to install the radiator
cap after the top off.

Anyway, 400 miles after rebuild now.  I have changed the oil and filter.
Upon recommendation, I have changed to Valvoline in an attempt to help hot
oil pressure.  After the oil change I now have a new oil leak in the
vicinity of the oil filter (new spin on adapter from Moss).  I will try to
fix this tonight.  Three great days in a row so far this week after last
week's rains.  However,  we are supposed to have low 90 F with frequent
thunderstorm weather for the rest of the week so the weather gear will have
to come back out.  I know this make me a sissy but it is generally frowned
upon at work to go to meetings smelling like a wet dog.  Two more weeks at
least of MGA daily driving since it looks like some parts for the daily
driver are on backorder.

I have a couple of leads on another bonnet.  Thanks to everyone who
responded with offers of parts, help, or sympathy.  I am feeling much
better now.  The A is wrinkled but not defeated and is still my favorite
car on earth.

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA getting plenty of exercise and looking for some "wrinkle cream"