Period Modifications

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Period Modifications
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:58:49 -0500
I love it when the subject of period modifications comes up!

Enthusiasts didn't drive these cars stock when they were new! I see no reason
to keep them stock now.  However, I do try to limit visible modifications to
what was available at the time.

So, what's "stock"?  Heck, even in the mass produced American cars, dealers
would play all sorts of games.  Want a 427 in your Camaro? No problem!  How
about a 383 in that Dart?  The factory usually caught up later with a premium
price option package.  Remember the Costello V-8's?

I ran my last 1275 Midget with a nice cam, a set of HS4's, a header, loud
exhaust, etc.  I have a period Judson Supercharger and wide Chevelle rims on my
Corvair Corsa.  (Obviously, fuel injection and a modern turbo would have been
more efficient... and cheaper!) In my opinion, properly and tastefully modified
cars are more difficult to put together correctly and bring more attention
whether at shows or on the street.

Just my $.02!

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI