RE: 78 MGB Radio Problem

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: 78 MGB Radio Problem
From: Andrew Errington <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 19:51:49 -0700
Hi,

probably an alternator, charging or battery fault.  I have had this happen
occasionally, and here is my deductive reasoning (fire at will).

1) When you brake you have taken your foot off the accelerator, so the revs
drop.
2) The drop in revs causes a drop in alternator output
3) Braking causes the two high brightness (high load) brake lamps to come
on
4) The alternator and battery can no longer sustain the rest of the car's
electrical requirements, in particular the sensitive electronics in the
radio.
5) er.,
6) that's it.

Of course you could test this theory by disconnecting the brake lights or
removing the bulbs, but be very sure to reconnect them.  Also, top up the
battery/ies is necessary.  Use only distilled water, tap water (even
boiled) will cause the battery to deteriorate.

Hope this helps.

Andy