Re: Welding a 69 MGB

To: Frank W Phillips JR <FWP@vpha.health.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: Welding a 69 MGB
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 03:39:25 -0400
Frank W Phillips JR wrote:
> I just got my 69 MGB so I must plead complete
> ignorance about what I need.

  You need patience, first of all. ;>

> Please give me suggestions for purchase
> of a welder (what type and why)

  Get a MIG. It's very easy and very effective on sheet
metal, and you can learn in in a few hours good enough to
start working on real stuff.

  To do it with gas or especially arc is possible, but requires
great concentration and skill to perform what you can do in
a MIG almost effortlessly.

> and what spec should I be looking for
> (what gauge of metal, etc).

  All the welding you'll need will be well within the capabilities
of the "baby migs". I have a Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 and it works
fine. It will do 80A but I only use low settings when working on
the B.

  Be sure to buy a MIG that uses gas from a bottle, not the
flux-cored wire. The flux cored wire isn't nearly as easy to
use and the results require much more grinding after.

  I am in the middle of doing my 1970B, and have quite a few
pictures already on my web site (in the signature). I have
already done floors, sills, three fenders, and some accident
repair on the rear quarter. Not all the pics are up yet, but
they are coming!

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/