Re: Welding a 69 MGB

To: FWP@vpha.health.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Welding a 69 MGB
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 06:23:39 EDT
On Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:52:33 EST5EDT "Frank W Phillips JR"
<FWP@vpha.health.ufl.edu> writes:
>Greetings,
>
>I need to replace my floor pans, boot (trunk) floor, and put on one or
>
>two rust repair panels. I just got my 69 MGB so I must plead complete
>ignorance about what I need. Please give me suggestions for purchase
>of a welder (what type and why) and what spec should I be looking for
>(what gauge of metal, etc). Any help on this will be much appreciated.
>could also use any pointers from listers who have done this work
>already. For now I am working on getting my LBC running! Once I can
>feel the wind in my hair and have a grin on my face I will move on to
>how it looks. Thanks to all for being out there!
>
>Frank Phillips, fwp@ufl.edu
>University of Florida
>phone: 352-392-7430 fax: 352-392-9395

Hi Frank - you certainly are not lacking in confidence.....a good thing
but unless you know how to use the welding equipment i fear you may be in
for a little frustration -
There will doubtless be a considerable dichotomy of opinion on this and
many of the listers are "super whizz bang" at this sort of thing.....
then there are the rest of us...

You can buy all the replacement panels you need from Moss, VB or
whomsoever (though youll get a better price from the resellers on the
list) and Porters book gives a good overview of the procedure but as to
putting them in, I would seriously consider getting it done
professionally unless, as i said, you are already adept at welding.

I signed up for a course in it myself - starts in August....

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster