Re: Welding a 69 MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Welding a 69 MGB
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 20:29:09 -0400
At 03:28 PM 7/1/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>Jethogger@aol.com wrote:

>> You will probably only use the welder once?

>  A welder is something you will use all the time once you

>own one. No joke.

Yes, every once in a while, I have to agree with those darn Canadians.  I've
got a Lincoln MIG welder back home.  I haven't use it on my car, as I had
intended, but when it came time to build a small trailer for my B to haul all
my junk down here to Georgia Tech, it did absolutely wonderful.  I saved myself
some money and had one sharp little trailer to boot.

>> Do all the dirty labor your self and let

>> a pro do the welding.

>  I would be hesitant, especially since there are a lot of

>people out there charging money for work that I wouldn't

>put in the category of "pro".

Yes. Yes. Yes.  Another list member mentioned that a lot of shops just look for
the newer cars, many of which are covered by insurance.  Good profits and
little ingenuity.  Plus many times, the ones who claim to be a "pro," are far
from it.

But... I would only recommend tackling such a project, if you have the time,
desire, workspace, tools, and extra help.  Something as simple as not having a
garage can wreak havoc on the best laid plans.  That being said, my double bay
32' x 36' workshop is the best thing since sliced bread.  Engine hoist, engine
stand, hydraulic press, welder, pressurized air points all throughout the shop
(someday), and other assorted goodies makes me a happy boy.  Throw in the
pressure washer, and I'm in contention for a MG repair shop :).

Anyway, get as much literature on the repair of the frame pieces and then talk
to everyone you can.  Get as much information as possible and then go for it.

If you can wait until this fall, I will be redoing the sills on my car
(hopefully after I get a Porsche), and I can give you guys an in depth write-up.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.