Re: dashless wonder has more questions....

To: Becky Mahoney <bmahoney@home.com>
Subject: Re: dashless wonder has more questions....
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 08:57:35 -0500
Becky Mahoney wrote:

> Really, the only known problem with drive train is
> the clutch, it makes a noise when the clutch is let out and the tranny
> is in neutral.   Maybe I should pay attention to the old addage...if it
> ain't broke, don't fix it... just pursue the clutch noise????

Well, the good news is that noise has nothing to do with the clutch.

The bad news is it is the transmission bearing on input shaft of the
transmission making the noise. That bearing rides in the casting between
clutch housing and the transmission. When rebuilding your transmission,
that is the last assembly to be removed.

The better news is that is a pretty stout ball bearing mounted there and
they will put up with a lot of abuse. The usual cause is the transmission
has been run low on oil at some point in its life. As it is splash-oiled
(not pressure fed) and is somewhat shrouded by the main gear running the
laygear, it is not unusual to it start to whine.

Make sure the tranny level is up to snuff and don't worry about it too
much.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6
"Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead." -- Ben Franklin, 1735