Re: engine work

To: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Subject: Re: engine work
From: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 20:27:10 -0400
I will second the response on going ahead and pulling the engine.  I recently
replaced the oil pan gasket on a 1960 MGA and it took about 5 hours just to
remove (installation the reverse of removal) and replace.  There are five bolts
that hold the front of the oil pan to the sump and they are nearly inaccessible
by human hands, not to mention laying on the ground and wondering if the jack
you used to lift the engine after loosening the motor mounts was really holding
(it wasn't).

With the motor removed, you can put it on a good engine stand and rotate it to
your hearts content.

Just my opinion.

M. W. Jordan, Jr.
Marietta, GA