Distributor drive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, tsherman@tecinfo.com
Subject: Distributor drive
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:57:45 -0500
Tyson,

I hope I am not too late for this but DO NOT just drop the distributor
drive back into the hole thinking that it will find its way to the proper
place.  It will end up in the bottom of the pan.  Use a long 5/16-24 bolt
or threaded rod as a handle and guide it into place.  I know that of which
I speak here since the A's pan was removed an extra time to retrieve may
dizzy drive.  Luckily the motor was out of the car.

Removing it requires the same approach.  First remove the dizzy and clamp.
then remove the one big honkin flat head screw that holds the dizzy mount
bush in the block.  Slide this out and attach the 5/16-24 bolt to the drive
and pull it out.  Again, if you loose control half way out you will be
pulling your motor again.  The Haynes manual tells you how to time it
correctly.  I followed their instructions and it worked OK.

You can probably make the car run fine but moving plug wires and turning
the distributor until everything lines up correctly with the new "wrong"
rotor position.  There is nothing magical about 2 o'clock at TDC no one but
it is correct and having the timing any other way would confuse future
owners and earn you the coveted DPO award.

Like I said,  I hope I am not too late.  I am sure that others have already
given you good advice.  I am on the digest and usually don't pitch in.
However, it seems that lately a few requests for help have fallen through
the cracks and, like I said, I have personal experience about the down side
of doing this wrong.

Regards,
Bill Eastman