Turn Signals & More Stuff

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Turn Signals & More Stuff
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 00:10:44 -0400
What are the steps to troubleshooting lack of turn signals on a 78 B?

This is the story thus far:

I bought the car w/o a hazzard switch. I got one from a listmember.

I plug the switch in, and turn it on - i hear either a relay or the flasher
clicking away like mad. Neither the <- -> lights on the dash, nor the side
marker lights flash. When I move the stalk up and down, nothing happens.

Can I jumper the female terminals on the plug that the hazzard switch goes
into to see if the switch is toast? Would replacing the flasher help? Mine
is dangling down in the passenger footwell. I would really, really, like to
avoid buying a new stalk if I could.

Hope something works - the car is 1 month overdude for inspection already!!!

On another note, the engine looks like it is in need of a rebuild. Oil is
seeping through the breather hose and fouling the carb. I disconnected the
hose to the air filter on my weber and the car runs (and doesn't smoke like
mad!) now, however it still does smoke sometimes - I think oil is leaking
from the disconnected hose and hitting the headers.

So far I have put 50 nervous miles on the car -- all of them with the top
down, though!!!

Another question: What are the correct steps in lowering the top? I mean,
where do i fold the top? When I drop the top, it looks rather silly, coming
to about half the height of the headrests. On fitting the half tonneau, I
assume I have to remove the rear anchor bar, right?

Thanks in advance!
BEN RUSET
http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://members.home.com/mgbhaven