Re: MGB thermostat question

To: ROBRTM3@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB thermostat question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 14:40:34
At 12:16 PM 7/12/98 EDT, Robert Murray <ROBRTM3@aol.com> wrote:
>.... the 77 MGB was running just below the red on the temp gauge, .... was
looking at the thermostat and it has 74 on the bottom end, is this any
indication as the as to degree type of thermostat;

Yep.  74dC = 165dF

>and what type temperature rated thermostat should I be using for hot Texas
weather?

In your case it probably doesn't make much difference.  The thermostat
controls the minimum operating temperature of the system, not the maximum.
IMHO, 165dF is too cool for an MG engine.  At that temperature it it may
not vaproize the fuel in the carbs well enough, results in carbon buildup,
raw fuel in the exhaust, occasional misfire, and possibly a little loss of
power.  If your temperature is running on the high side, the low temp
rating of the thermostat is irrelevant, because it would be wide open anyway.

However, you may have a faulty thermostat that does not open fully.  Put
the thermostat in a pan of water and bring it to a boil.  If it isn't fully
open by that time, chuck the sucker and get a new one.  I'd recommend a
180dF unit, 82dC, plus or minus a few degrees.

>Also, In refilling the system I went with 100% water, .... any problem
with 100% water.

Rust and corrosion.  After a while the water jacket will slowly start to
fill up with rust sediment, restricting water flow through the block.  More
rarely the head can also get clogged up.  Plain water also likes to eat the
copper radiator from the inside out.  Good idea to use a corrosion
inhibitor in the water.  Water Wetter comes to mind, and may also help a
bit with your heat transfer.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude