Re: What year is it?

To: "Joe R. Koster" <jkoster@ncpi.com>
Subject: Re: What year is it?
From: Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:20:53 -0400
>Hello all!
>I don't know if this has been talked about before, but my title on my MG
>Midget calls it a 71 but the plate on the door it says was built in November
>1970.  My question being is:  Is the midget a 1970 or a 1971 model?  The
>reason for me asking is that a friend told me that it is a 1970 model.  He
>said that when they imported MG's to the states that they did not put the
>year that the car was built, they put the year that the car was sold on the
>title.  Therefore if the car was made in 1968 and imported to the states and
>not sold until 1970, the car title will say that the MG is a 1970 model.  I
>know on a Chevy or a Ford if it was built around November it would be called
>a 1971. but since this is a British car I wasn't for sure.  Any help would
>be greatly appreciated!

>From what I understood, it was just the same as American manufacturers did.

If it was built early in the calendar year (my car was built 3/78) then the
calendar year is the model year.

If it was built late in the year, (as yours is an 11/70) then the model
year is
the next year.

I don't know the exact cutoff date between model years though.
BEN RUSET
http://members.home.com/bruset
The MGB Haven & MG Cars Webring         http://members.home.com/mgbhaven