re:Body shop blues

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re:Body shop blues
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:01:18 -0500 (EST)
>Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:30:42 -0400
>From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
>Subject: Re: Body shop blues- little MG
>
>Bill Eastman wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it's just me but does anyone else wonder how body shops stay in
>> business?
>
>  I wonder too, from a different angle.
>
>  I've done a fair bit of body work in my life, including
>right now. And every time I do, I am amazed at how tedious
>and time consuming it is, even with a bit of "experience".
>
>  Inevitably, I end up having to walk away and come back
>tomorrow or I get frustrated and settle for a less than
>perfect job.
>
>  I am well aware that real body men can do it a lot
>faster and in fewer "passes" than I can, but I can't help
>but think I'd have to charge thousands and thousands of
>dollars to make any money doing it at all.
>
>- --
>Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
>tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

I have another angle on this situation.  Just over a year ago, I took a job
in a small body shop as an estimator/office manager/grunt.  I've been
slowly learning bodywork from the technicians there, and can now do just
about everything except straighten a frame.  I am, however, still quite
slow at it. After work, I've been slowly prepping my car for repainting.
The best advice I can give is take your time.  Work for a while, take a
break.  You're much less likely to make a mistake that way.  You'll get
faster at it as you get experience.  Basically, the more you do it, the
more you develop a "feel"  for the techniques.  No, it isn't easy to do.
Maybe that is why we have such a hard time finding good bodymen these days.
Personally, I enjoy this kind of work.  Must have spent too much time in
the paint booth without a mask.  :-)

Calvin Krug