Re: Body shop blues- little MG

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Re: Body shop blues- little MG
From: William Elliott <William.Elliott@mail.mei.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 8:38:01 -0500
<<Basically, the more you do it, the
more you develop a "feel"  for the techniques.  No, it isn't easy to do.
Maybe that is why we have such a hard time finding good bodymen these days.
Personally, I enjoy this kind of work.  Must have spent too much time in
the paint booth without a mask.  :-)>>

I helped to run a body shop specializing in restorations
in MD.  We eventually shut it down since we were unable to
get or keep good bodymen.  They tended to fall into three
categories:  (1) Not very good, (2) Excellent, but "unstable"
(2 in jail for violent acts, 1 "committed"), or (3) Excellent
and stable, in which case they soon found better offers in the
really high-dollar shops.

I agree it's more of an art than a science (though science plays
a large role).  I know the procedures and the science, but
don't really have the "feel".  For me, doing mechanical work is
relaxing, bodywork is tedious. I'm currently sitting here with
4 cars needing paint jobs, but I haven't yet found a shop with
a reasonable "quality vs. price" relationship. I'd do it
myself, but I'd like a better job than I think I'm capable of doing.

Bill Elliott
Lake Mills, WI