Re: speedo cable

To: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@khoral.com>
Subject: Re: speedo cable
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:08:50 -0700
Kevin Sullivan wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Thomas James Pokrefke, III wrote:
>
> > I'll have to keep this short:  my girlfriend is sitting impatiently next
> > to me.  To clean the speedo cable, follow these steps:
> >
> > 1.  Slide the inner cable out of the outer casing
> > 2.  Spray brake cleaner profusely down the outer casing
> > 3.  Steal a ziploc sandwich bag and cut the corner off of it.  Slide the
> > outer casing up through the hole, and tape the bag to the cable.
> > 4.  Nail the bag to your garage wall.
> > 5.  Fill the bag with 10W-30 oil.
> >
> > Duty beckons...
> > Thomas James Pokrefke, III
> >

> Man, that it the funniest thing I've read in a long time!
>
> Kevin Sullivan             kevins@khoral.com
> Khoral Research Inc.       www.khoral.com/staff/kevins/mgstuff
> Albuquerque NM USA
>
> 1960 MGA           "Baby"
> 1957 Magnette ZB   "Pup"
> 1959 Magnette ZB   "P2"

Thats exactly how I use to lubricate the front brake, clutch cable, and
rear brakes on the majority of ancient, ( well worn,) motorcycles I ran.

It is very important to CLEAN OFF the oil from the last 8 to 10 inches
of the inner cable on a speedo-drive, or it screws the oil up into the
delicate 'head', causing the needle to react slowly, and often stick.

Neil.