Re: another question on sealing

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: another question on sealing
From: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 11:00:31 -0700
At 12:43 PM 8/4/98, Barney Gaylord wrote:

>Good move with the helicoil.  Pretty easy aren't they?
Yes, unfortunately, I have just become a terrible DPO! (Dumb PRESENT Owner
-- in my haste to get this job done, I matched the thread of the stud with
an M8x1.25 -- so this is the helicoil I fitted. These threads are really
close to 5/16 UNC!

To recover from this, I am going to make my own stud: M8x1.25 on one end,
5/16 UNF on the other. The reason to do this is to make all 3 nuts
interchangable. I don't have to worry about interchanging the studs as the
others will never unscrew.

Oh well, I have learned an important lesson: patience! If I had just waited
until Monday, asked the list, I would have known exactly what to do.

Simon

>Thread sealant or blue RTV gasket sealer works well.  Two out of three of
>those threaded holes go through into the water jacket as original, so the
>threads need to be sealed anyway.  The thermostat gasket doesn't always
>(very seldom) seal around the threaded studs.  Under pressure the water can
>leak slowly upwards around the threads of the stud, then up along the sides
>of the stud, then out from under the nut at the top.  Water along the sides
>of the studs can create a lot of rust in the holes, leading to a badly
>stuck thermostat housing the next time you want to remove it.

It was when trying to remove one of the nuts that the stud sheared, leading
to the whole sorry episode. THe furstrating thing is that the nut had
moved, it was rust above the nut that caused stopped further turning of the
nut and the shearing of the stud. A nut splitter, heat, or a die to clean
the threads might have saved the day originally.

Simon
---
Simon Matthews      Avant! Corporation
                    Phone:  (510) 413-8820