Re: another question on sealing

To: gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu
Subject: Re: another question on sealing
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 23:42:28 EDT

On Wed, 05 Aug 1998 15:55:51 -0400 Jurgen Hartwig
<gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu> writes:
>At 11:46 PM 8/4/98 EDT, Rick Morrison wrote:
>
>>The usual gasket and sealer should take care of any weepage past the
>
>>helicoil.
>
>> But I doubt you will have any, helicoils being pretty good seals on
>
>>their own, if they are installed correctly.
>

>Rick and others, I recently purchased a Porsche at a good price.  The
>cylinder heads need work or replacement.  Basically, the spark plugs
>had stripped in the holes and the previous owner(s) had used a
>helicoil to rethread the head.  Anyway, the spark plugs stripped once
>again, for an unknown reason (I haven't spoken to the PO yet).
>

>So... my question is this: Should I redo the helicoils, if possible,
>or can you guys think of another solution short of buying another set
>of heads and rebuilding them?  I've heard of Timcerts, which are
>similar to the helicoils, except they are solid instead of the coil
>wire.  Any comments on these?
>

>I will eventually get around to asking a P-car mechanic, but you guys
>are darn smart, and I didn't think it would hurt for me to run this
>buy ya.
>

>thanks

Jay,
 Helicoil makes an "oversize" insert in most of their popular sizes (and
spark plug threads fits that catagory) for use when a helicoil strips
out. I believe it requires a different insertion tool, due to the larger
wire size used.
 I've had no personal experience with them, but they can usually be found
at the major parts houses, though some may have to order them.
 Understand, though, that this is a last chance repair. If the "oversize"
strips, you're probably stuck with getting a new head.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget