Re: another question on sealing

To: Simon Matthews <simon_matthews@avanticorp.com>
Subject: Re: another question on sealing
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 12:43:05
At 08:25 AM 8/4/98 -0700, Simon Matthews wrote:
>Since I had to drill out and use a helicoil  to replace one of the
theromstat cover studs, how do I ensure that I don't get leakage around the
threads of the stud?

Good move with the helicoil.  Pretty easy aren't they?

Thread sealant or blue RTV gasket sealer works well.  Two out of three of
those threaded holes go through into the water jacket as original, so the
threads need to be sealed anyway.  The thermostat gasket doesn't always
(very seldom) seal around the threaded studs.  Under pressure the water can
leak slowly upwards around the threads of the stud, then up along the sides
of the stud, then out from under the nut at the top.  Water along the sides
of the studs can create a lot of rust in the holes, leading to a badly
stuck thermostat housing the next time you want to remove it.  Always seal
the threads on the thermostat studs.

Barnay Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitede