Missing MGB, clews needed!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Missing MGB, clews needed!
From: Ivan Lawton <w3ike@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
     I installed a slightly used very low time rebuilt 18V engine in
my 79 B last fall.  The engine ran perfectly until  March 1998 when I
decided to set it up for the Maryland emissions inspection.  Well
after adding a can of Dry gas to the tank and adjusting the Zenith
carb to spec it started missing at 2200 RPM to 4200 RPM.  The engine
will not rev over 4200 under load and has no POWER.  No load, no miss
and redline is easily attainable.  A compression check indicates in a
range of 138 to 146 lbs.  I have changed the entire engine electrical
system, carburetor and fuel delivery systems with no improvement or
change. Oh, BTW the crank to cam timing is dead nuts on as I have
disassembled the front of the engine to check that.  Also there are no
manifold or break booster vacuum leaks.

        My clew bucket is now empty so does anyone have any ideas?

        Thanks for your help,

                IKE Lawton       Annapolis,  MD.