Re: Rear Springs

To: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Subject: Re: Rear Springs
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 20:55:18 +0000
Chris Attias wrote:

> MG Listees,
>
> I am in the process of rebuilding the suspension of my '64 B, and want to
> replace the rear springs.  My local Moss distributor, an MG restorer with
> fairly high standards, was hesitant to sell me the 6-leaf Moss
> springs--something about poor metallurgy and not holding their set for very
> long.  His recommendation was the Moss 7 -leaf spring.   I have seen
> comments suggesting that the 7-leaf spring might be too stiff on a roadster
> (causing handling problems?)
>
> Could anyone having tried either spring on a chrome-bumper car offer an
> opinion?  Thanks,
>
> Chris Attias
> '64 MGB

The seven leaf springs were fitted to all GTs, neither of
the roadsters.  All RB cars had harder springs to cope with
the extra weight (of the bumpers!).

I have fitted RB roadster springs to my CB roadster to stop
the rear tyres fouling the arches on hard cornering
(following a conversion from Rostyles to wires), or
moderate cornering when fully laden.  It has been very
successful, and raised the height by less than 1/2" at the
rear and less than 1/4" at the front.

Other positive effects have been greatly reduced roll and
dive under braking.  Negative effects have been a tendency
to break away sooner at the rear in a wet corner.  I barely
notice what must be a harder ride.

However I have recently replaced the rubber rear shackle
bushes with red poly, and although I didn't notice any
change (for better or worse) with one-up or two-up, with
two-up and luggage the ride seems very choppy and quite
unpleasant.

I think I shall go back to the rubber bushes for now, in the
fullness of time replace the rostyle axle with a wire axle,
refit the CB springs (the rears of which are really new),
then try the poly bushes again.

PaulH.