Re: Rear Springs

To: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>, MG Listserver <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Rear Springs
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 17:48:14 -0400
At 03:02 PM 8/5/98 -0700, Chris Attias wrote:

> My local Moss distributor, an MG restorer with

>fairly high standards, was hesitant to sell me the 6-leaf Moss

>springs--something about poor metallurgy and not holding their set for very

>long.  His recommendation was the Moss 7 -leaf spring.   I have seen

>comments suggesting that the 7-leaf spring might be too stiff on a roadster

>(causing handling problems?)

Chris, I placed a set of 6-leaf springs on my '70 MGB.  After about 15,000
miles and 2 years, the car sags on the driver side about 1 inch more than the
passenger side.  I'm about 175 pounds, so I don't think I'm putting any undue
stress on the spring.  I would side with the mechanic.  The poor quality of the
replacement springs is good reason to go with the 7-leaf springs, which may
give more headroom before sagging.

Just so you know: I purchased my springs from Proper MG, and I believe they
were from England.

What about you others?  Experiencing the same problem?

I would think the 7-leaf springs would be a good match with a stiffer shock, or
the Spax shocks since you could dampen the spring by using a stiffer shock.
Another thing to consider, Chris, is if you haul any loads in your MGB.  When I
move from home to Georgia Tech every 10 weeks, I have to load about 200 pounds
of junk into my trunk.  The car sags tremendously, but it's only 400 miles, so
I don't worry much.

Jay

PS. I also studied the possibility of getting my springs re-arced, but the
price was prohibitively expensive (around $200).

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.