Re: Why new leaf springs may be a waste

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Why new leaf springs may be a waste
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:47:56
At 10:05 PM 8/10/98 -0700, Mike Gigante wrote:
>A couple of things come to mind, but it depends on the rules for your class.
>
>1) lowering blocks

Not allowed in Stock class.

>2) longer droop straps (or remove them altogether)

Not allowed in Stock class, and may result in damage to the lever shocks
from overextension.

>3) LSD

I don't think that Lysergic acid Diethylamide would do much for the car,
although it could do amazing thing for (or to) the driver.  Somehow I
suspect you are refering to something else?

>4) stiffer rear shocks (very stiff bump damping before 'blowoff')

I don't think that stiffer shocks would do much for this problem.  Once the
one tire is in the air it can continue to wheel around on three like that
until it slows down or completes the turn.  On a smooth pavement there may
be no motion of the shocks while in this static condition.

>You could also try removing a leaf to drop the ride height a little. ....
some or all of the above may not be allowable depending on your class
rules. ....

Yep.  Any mechanical changes to the car are not allowed in Stock class
unless specifically mentioned in the rule book, and the exceptions to stock
are very few.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude

ground clearance .... when the car returned to the track it had a rather
dramatic change in personality. So here's the problem.

>>.... As the car is approaching the limit of adhesion in hard cornering,
the body roll gets to the point where the inside rear fender lifts until
the rebound strap is stretched completely tight.  At that point the rear
roll stifness suddenly transitions to infinity.  Then with just a little
more body roll the inside rear wheel gets lifted right off the pavement.