Re: Thought for the day ... about hats

To: <BobMGT@aol.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Thought for the day ... about hats
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 23:17:50 -0400
>I've also noticed this. I think it has something to do with
bigger-is-better
>psychology. When you're in a small car the guy behind you automatically
>assumes he must be going too slow. It doesn't matter how fast the small car
is
>going, the guy in the big car/truck won't believe his speedometer. He must
>pass you or die! I wonder if people in Vetts and Jags have this same
problem.
>I especially hate it when a pickup truck passes me on a two lane highway
when
>I'm already way over the speed limit. How fast can those things go anyway?
>Someday one of these guys will try to follow me into a turn, then they'll
be
>in big trouble.
>
>Again, this just doesn't happen when I'm in the family sedan.

I think the whole problem stems from the mentality that "Newer is ALWAYS
better."  No matter how many parts I've replaced on any old car, to some
people it will always be second rate.  In my newer truck, nobody gives me
any grief, no matter how slow I'm going; but get in my Plymouth and it's
like I'm driving a tri-axle dump at 10 mph!!!
    Even better, has anyone ever told you that your car wasn't worth it?  I
was telling a mechanic friend of my father what I did to my car, what was
new, and how much time I spent, but I did make it a point to tell him it
wasn't perfect.  He laughed and told me I'd be better off throwing money
into a pit!!!  What's his problem?!?  If I want to get a turd and polish it,
that's my business, but it takes big cajones to tell me it was a waste!
(Not saying that my MGB's a turd or anything...)  I'll never understand
ignorant people, but I DO understand that you can't shoot 'em.

*Rant mode off*

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/