Rebuilt Alternator Question

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rebuilt Alternator Question
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 22:22:18 -0400
Ok, I picked up my rebuilt Lucas alternator from the parts store today, but
hit a snag.  Seems the fan/pulley portion did not come with the alternator
and I was to use my old one.  Fine, I'm alright with that.  But the guys at
the parts store could not get it off for me saying someone would have to
use a high impact air ratchet.

Well, I was surprised to find out that I wasn't just trading one whole
alternator for another, but the counter guy said that the listing in the
book specifically states how there were different pulleys for different
applications so the alternator was not to be sold with a fan/pulley.

Now it seems up to me to get the thing off and return my core for the
credit.  Looking at my old alternator it appears that there was a hard
putty-like filler used to "lock" the nut on.  I've scraped away as much of
that as I can and am now soaking with liquid wrench.

My questions are:

1) are the parts guys giving me the real story?
2) is my method of removing the fan the right way to go?
3) should I (and how if yes) reseal the nut on the new alternator once I
get it off the old one?

Any advice is =much= appreciated.

Philip

1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos