Re: and still no overdrive

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: and still no overdrive
From: stuart farmer <k7wf@kalama.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 07:51:56 -0700
Tyson, It won't hurt a thing to use the car without the O/D working.
       Mine hasn't worked all summer but I don't want to take time
       to fix it while the weather is so nice ( I prefer to drive).
       The MGB was designed to be driven with or without O/D and will
       do 80 mph + comfortably in 4th gear. I wouldn't worry about it .
       Just be sure the oil (20-50) is up to the level and fix the
       overdrive when you have more time to spare. Not all MGB's have
       O/D and they are still running around without problems.
       Probably the reason you could get only 2 quarts in after draining
       the gearbox, is that the O/D doesn't drain until you drop that
       shiny plate/cover underneath the O/D. When you take that off the
       oil pours out of the O/D.  Have fun...Cheerio, Stuart...'79MGB

At 08:31 PM 8/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I did what most of you said and checked for 12v at the solenoid wire.
>That I found, well 11.xx volts actually (miscalibration of the analog
>instrument?)  Where the solenoid wire goes into the little square plate
>doesn't look too great, like it was stretched.  May try to remove that
>tonight to see what it does.  The haynes manual called for 6 pints of
>fluid.  I could only get 2 quarts in there though (4pts) before it began
>to spill out of the side.  Would that coupled with thinner fluid prevent
>it from building the pressure necessary to engage?  I would really like
>to have a completely working B when this thing goes to school with me.
>I'm going Wednesday, it's not.  It will have to wait a few weeks I guess
>:(  It's sure fun to drive around town again though!! :)
>
>--
>Tyson Sherman
>mts3@ra.msstate.edu
>http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman