Re: More TD help

To: pbailey@qnet.com
Subject: Re: More TD help
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:34:11 EDT
Hi Pat,
  Moss may be giving him the correct info. The TD setup is unusual.
  Dave Raymond, NEMGTR #96, wrote this, which was  printed in the April,
1990 issue of TSO:
  "Most TCs and TDs are running around with the original thermostat,
either because of a lack of knowledge or the almost prohibitive cost of a
new one. One very effective solution to the problem that I have used is
as follows:
  "Remove the thermostat housing, using a screwdriver, pry off the valve
that is at the top of the housing, and remove the remains of the old
thermostat. Break out the flat piece of metal with a hole in it hat the
stem of the old thermostat passed through. Clean up any burrs that
remain. Purchase a 160 or a 180 degree thermostat depending on season.
One that I use is for older Fords. The thermostat fits into the top of
the housing perfectly. Drill two 9/64" holes through the edge of the
thermostat and    the flange of the housing using two 1/8 x 1/4 brass
rivets inserted up from the bottom, back up with  punch held in a vise
and peen over the end. Result: a neat installation that can be changed
over to a summer thermostat with very little difficulty, saving some
money and ensuring that with all other factors being equal, you'll have
an abundance of heat. A thermostat, properly working, is a very important
part of the machine-it insures faster warmup and maintains a constant
temperature in the engine.
  Dave is a highly-regarded MG MD, and this tip sounds as though it's
just what your friend is looking for.
Bob