Re: More TD help

Subject: Re: More TD help
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Dave Ahrendt wrote:

> Replacing the old TC/TD thermostat is a good thing.  Regarding Dave
> Raymonds' article; I would add one thing. When you use a new style
> thermostat instead of the old version you loose the sliding piece that
> covers the bypass tube.  So once the car is up to temp some amount of
> coolant is still going to take the easy route and avoid the radiator.
>
> I would block off the bypass opening by just replacing the existing
> gasket with a solid one.

Don't block it completely!  There needs to be some circulation through the
block and head while the thermostat is closed in order to promote even
warmup and to prevent localized hot spots.

A better approach is to restrict flow through the bypass, but not block it
completely. I use a home-made brass spacer between the thermostat housing
and the bypass elbow, with a 1/4 inch or 5/16 inch hole to allow some
flow.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net