Re: fuel injection

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: fuel injection
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 17:24:06 -0500
Jurgen Hartwig wrote:

> Who would be willing to help me study the feasibility of a fuel injection
> system for the
> MGB/MGA, or other automobiles?  I realize that I may be rubbing some the
> wrong way by studying new technology for our dear old vehicles, but I
> can't see how a daily driver could not benefit from such an adaptable
> piece of science.

I'm sure we'll all stand right behind you to snicker at such an undertaking of
our grand marque. Actually, though, it would seem that a simple fuel injection
system would be easily adaptable to both the 'B' motor and the 'A' series
Midget. The simaesed intake ports would me mean you would only have to have
two injectors. The manifold would be simple enough.

Can the log manifold be installed upside down? Then you would have the
balanced crossover and, since it is now dry, wouldn't puddle the gas. With the
log on the bottom, then the injectors would have a clean 45 degree shot at the
intake valves. The log manifold can hook to a plenum with a single butterfly
so that throttle position and flow sensors could be installed.

As a computer geek, I hate to admit that I know nothing of the computer
devices needed to run the deal, though. It would seem that with two sensors,
180 out, you could fire both injectors at the same time. This will waste one
pulse but, hell, the (old, mechanical) fuel injected Corvette wasted 7 of
them.

Summit sells what looks like a dust pan that could be welded to the bottom,
center of the tank and provide a mounting base for an FI fuel pump. You'd have
to plumb in two lines going to the injector rail, though.

There was a thread here about the sacred Harleys and the new ones have FI. I
wonder how tuneable the electronic box is and who sources it? Maybe that
device could be taught to do two shots on every crank rotation. I don't think
the're running O2 sensors on Harley's though so how do you get any feedback to
the computer?

As a side note, the Triumph TR-5 had a fuel injected 2.5 liter 6. It was
entirely mechanical and ran a "fuel distributor" off the dizzy drive. They ran
six fuel pipes up over the valve cover to wide open fuel metering nozzles.
Also, the machine three pairs of butterflys mounted up next to the head
instead of a single plenum and throttle plate. Very weird but they claimed 40%
more power than the carb-ed motor sent to the states.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City
". . .and lead me not into temptation, but deliver us some e-mail. Amen."