Nev's new B (most likely, and most likely long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Nev's new B (most likely, and most likely long)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 16:27:26 -0500
So I went out to New Salem, MA today and looked at a B. The seller doesn't
have the title; sound familiar Bud? Well, this one his father had but lost,
so it shouldn't be that much of an issue. I gave him a deposit (post-dated
check) balance due when title is received. It's probably not air-tight but
he seemed like a straigtforward guy.

So it's a '78 roadster, BRG, that has sat for many years (let me finish).
The seller was careful to soak some oil in and says it started right up. I
let it get good and hot, oil pressure never less than 30 at idle, usually
50-75 when given a little gas. I don't know if that's good but at least it
has some. It has 40,000 miles on the clock, and has plenty of power, shifts
smoothly, and the clutch feels normal. The brakes are a little spongy but
functional and quiet (It sat for many years! Have to do those seals, change
that fluid). Doesn't idle well when hot, probably because it has the same
plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc that were on there when it was parked.
Parking brake cable disconnected. Drives fine too, no funny handling or
noises.

Now, the bad parts. Did I mention that it sat for many years OUTSIDE? There
is no top, but the rail frame is there and works. The carpets have been
pulled out of it (probably a good thing), revealing a hole just under the
driver's seat and a hairline crack as well. Passenger floor, trunk floor,
firewall, sills and rockers are all solid. Amazing.  The quarter panels
need work, the section near the doors on all four panels are quite rusty,
holed through, who knows what I'll find inside? Also, the door tops right
under the back edge of the vent windows (you're all nodding heads in
recognition) are starting holes as well. But that's about it, if you don't
count a lot of parts with surface rust that should be removed, wire wheeled
or sandblasted, and replaced. The trunk lid is a little misaligned, but the
rest appears straight. The paint is badly faded, and peeling like crazy
from the hood.

And the big aggravation, a broken ignition switch, which inspired a
screwdriver operated type replacement, which means that almost none of the
accessories or gauges work. I hope that with a new switch and harness I'll
find that most of them come back to life. Oh yeah, needs new exhaust, of
course, but the tires are actually still good.

The total damage? An even one thousand. For New England, I think that's
fair. Anyone want to tell me I'm a fool or gimme an attaboy (Nory?)

So now I wait, hoping no title obstacles arise.

Nev ('78 B, tentative)