Re: Help-Exhaust System

To: "Bud Krueger" <bkrueger@ici.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Help-Exhaust System
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 01:56:03 -0400
Bud and all,
    I was chatting with a fellow who auto-X's a '70 'B.  He claimed that you
could gain a 6hp gain by adding K&N airfilters to an SU fitted car AND
removing the front resonator/muffler in the twin-muffler setup.  I see
myself trying that route when my exhaust goes to the big scrapyard in the
sky.
    Others might say this too, but I have heard that the stock exhaust
header fitted to pre-'74 cars is the best - better than the tube headers.
They claim it's just as efficient in removing the gases and the heat is
retained better, therefore keeping it out of your engine bay.
    So if it were me, what would I do?  In your case, get an exhaust header
that's factory for pre-'74 cars.  I'd add a stainless steel exhaust system
from Moss or VB, keeping the front muffler out of the equation.  (I know
that stainless costs big $$$, but playing with rusty exhaust stuff every few
years isn't my idea of fun, especially if you're a DIY muffler guy.)  As far
as I know, the stainless pipes will bolt up to a stock header.  Just for
fun, I'd go to my favorite parts store and buy a boy-racer chrome dual
exhaust tip.  It's up to you, but try to keep the tip diameter smaller than
the size of Texas!  8-)

What you folks suggest that I consider
>for a replacement?  My druthers would be for something in stainless, but I
don't
>want to give up the HS4's.  What's the wisdom's thoughts about the Peco
system?
>I'd like to get this done very quickly since I'm now ready to go for a
Mass. RMV
>inspection sticker.  Fortunately, in Massachusetts it is not necessary for
>vehicles more than fifteen years old to have to pass emissions tests.  TIA.
>
>Bud Krueger

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/