New MGF For Sale in USA? Can I buy two?

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: New MGF For Sale in USA? Can I buy two?
From: "Robert Allen" <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 11:25:04 -0500
I do wonder how the MGF would sell to enthusiasts in the U.S.A.

I wouldn't pay more than $5,000 for a Midget, $8,000 for an MGB, or $12,000
for an MGA and, for those prices, I would expect one heck of a car. So would
I consider $30,000 for an MGF? From eveything I've heard, $30K would be
pretty close if in the U.S.A.

For that kind of money we're talking a substantial loan plus insurance costs
so it'd have to be the daily driver. And if its the daily driver, then why
would I need my pretty nice "parts hauler" pickup? But I've always had a
pickup for a daily driver! And then, if you have a new MG, why would you
keep all those old MGs? I mean, if your driving a new MG everyday, what's
the attraction of an old one?

Sure, the MGF could be the hobby car but I just couldn't do it. If you're
paying that much money every month, and a big junk of that to the bank,
along with full insurance, I just can't see it sitting in the garage waiting
for sunny weekends.

So it's a conundrum. Right now MGs are a cheap sports car hobby where pride
of ownership has as much to do with tinkering in the garage as it is showing
it off out on the road. It would seem buying a new MGF would skew the hobby
in a much different direction from how the 'enthusiasts' I run with
participate in this silly hobby.

Now some of the Healey boys (who think I am a cheap ass) contend that the
price of the car isn't that big a deal if it is a collectable. That is, keep
it in good shape, and you'll get the purchase price back. But I have yet to
see a new car keep its purchase price for very long.

At least that's the view from this humble social-economic position.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6