Re: Charging hassles

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Charging hassles
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 22:23:11 +0000
Mike Lishego wrote:

> >So fellas, what has fallen off where?  Ignition light on when I turn
> >the key off and a DEAD battery the next day.
>
> Classic symptoms of a dead alternator.

Yep... dead alternator (for everyone who answered) but I was hoping that
there was another reason for the "short" that may have been a common
occurrance!

> I'm gonna suggest this - to make sure there's no fault in your
> wiring causing a short to the ignition light, try this.  Hook up a
> good battery to the car and watch the pretty ignition light come on.
> Pull the plug out of the alternator and check the light.  If the light
> is gone, the short is in the alternator.  If it stays on, you have a
> short somewhere else.

And the alternator gets the cigar (no Clinton jokes, please)!

Well, I guess I will do the electronic ignition at the same time.. why
not so long as the cheque book is out and the hands are dirty!

Thanks again, guys (but couldn't you have given me better news).

Eric
'68 MGB