Re: Paint & terrible joke.

To: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: Paint & terrible joke.
From: neil.cairns@virgin.net
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:05:25 -0700
Phil Raby wrote:

> On 15/9/98 9:05 am mgs-owner@autox.team.net said
>
> >>Which brings me to an interesting point. Did you know that the UK and
> >>Ireland have been forced into driving on the right by EEC Convention.
> >>The UK is fighting it as the cost to modify cars will be massive.
> >>However, Ireland has decided to give it a try. To ease the change-over
> >>from left to right, the Heavy Good Vehicles ( trucks) will cross over
> >>on
> >>Monday the 21st September, and private cars and vans will follow a
> >>week
> >>later.
>
> Of course, you forgot to mention that taxi drivers will continue to drive
> on which ever side of the road takes their fancy! ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Philip Raby
> Editor, MG World
> PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
> Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
> www.chp.ltd.uk

Very true, I drove TAXI's for 18 months as a second job, trying hard to
save up the deposit on a house....the market accelerating away from me
in 1970!! My new wife (then)  later told me she was terrified of my
driving, and that the taxi job was the cause. I thought, at the time, I
was being clever getting a 23cwt Morris Oxford out into traffic from
side roads, in a slit-second. If there was a gap, GO FOR IT, or some
other bleeding Taxi driver would! I gave it all up when I pinched a fare
from the MG works at Abingdon, (as I was driving in Didcot this was not
permitted.) I had dropped my Didcot fare off in the town centre, and
knew there would be someone wanting a lift to the GWR station, ( in
Didcot). Two local Abingdon taxis followed me, and after my fare had
paid up, they turned my car upside-down into a ditch. Nice people,
really cut-throat stuff.

Such is life.

Neil.