Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon

To: nogera1@juno.com
Subject: Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 21:19:05 EDT
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:54:56 -0500 nogera1@juno.com (bob nogueira)
writes:

(snip)
My problem is that it  has reached the point where everything needs
>redoing,  I Figure I'm looking at 1500.00 for a engine rebuild,
>1000.00 for an interior, 600.00 to buy paint and materials for a
>refinish. Throw in tires, a new steering wheel, new windshield and
>I'll have another 3000 to 4000 dollars in the car plus  months of
>labor. The idea of just parking it and  picking up a  more
>conventional  daily driver is growing appealing. I would still have my
>Morgan Plus 4 to drive and  the time I am save not rebuilding my BGT
>could be spent on finishing  my Morgan Drophead Coupe and my Issetta
>restorations.
>So fella LBC drivers , save  me from a mistake give me some support
>for remaining a LBC daily driver .
>

>Bob Nogueira
>
>PS  The BGT will not be sold just retired since my wife bought it for
>me !

The logic has all been discussed before but it may be worth repeating...
Youre figuring 4000 to get the parts you need and the time needed to
assemble them.
What sort of daily driver can you get for 4000? - a 4 year old escort? a
six year old nissan?
To think hypothetically for a moment....Lets say you really dont have the
time to do the restoration yourself - there are some really wonderful
people out there who will do it for you, will guarantee their work AND
possibly do a better job than you will -lets guess that they will do the
work for about 5-6000
That would put you with 9-10000 in the car - BUT- you will have a totally
servicable practically new daily driver that also happens to mean
something to you!

Now a practical example - my 69 is  n e a r l y  finished. its
restoration didnt start out as extensive as it became but i have way less
than 7000 into the car (including its purchase price) and it has a
rebuilt engine/trans with o/d, rebuilt front end, rear end, new brakes,
suspension and steering, full new interior and top, six coats of black
laquer and three coats of clear - i did a lot of the grunt work myself
but i dont think it was 2-3000 worth

works for me.......

mike robson
69 roadster