Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon

To: nogera1@juno.com
Subject: Re: A Daily Driver Falling off the Wagon
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 18:13:40 EDT
On Mon, 21 Sep 1998 23:54:56 -0500 nogera1@juno.com (bob nogueira)
writes:
>Okay LBC support group, I may need an intervention here!  I've been
>driving my MGBGT as my daily driver for the past 9 years and recently
>started thinking of retiring it.  Its not the heat, it has A/C which
>has been working wonderfully over the past summer,  and its not
>comfort , I find it to be a really comfortable car . Nine years ago I
>rebuilt the engine and outside a  valve job and replacing the Weber
>with a pair of SUs it has required  almost no  maintenance.
>My problem is that it  has reached the point where everything needs
>redoing,  I Figure I'm looking at 1500.00 for a engine rebuild,
>1000.00 for an interior, 600.00 to buy paint and materials for a
>refinish. Throw in tires, a new steering wheel, new windshield and
>I'll have another 3000 to 4000 dollars in the car plus  months of
>labor. The idea of just parking it and  picking up a  more
>conventional  daily driver is growing appealing. I would still have my
>Morgan Plus 4 to drive and  the time I am save not rebuilding my BGT
>could be spent on finishing  my Morgan Drophead Coupe and my Issetta
>restorations.
>So fella LBC drivers , save  me from a mistake give me some support
>for remaining a LBC daily driver .
>

>Bob Nogueira
>
>PS  The BGT will not be sold just retired since my wife bought it for
>me !

OK, let's say you don't spend the above money. What have you got then?
You've still got a tired worn GT that's in need of money thrown at it.
And no matter how may projects you undertake in the mean time, it's still
there. (you said you weren't going to sell it) Plus all the other
projects will consume funds that mayhave put the GT back in good shape
and it becomes easier and easier to say, "I'll just put off working on
the GT til...........".
 Hey, there's a heaven sent opportunity to get in good with the SO here.
 You go ahead and get the GT back in shape. When you are chastised for
the money you're spending, the reply is something to the effect of
"Honey, you bought it for me, so It has top priority. Nothing else is in
front"

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget