Re: Low idle miss ??????

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Low idle miss ??????
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:46:43 -0400 (EDT)
>My 73B has developed a strange low idle miss, all is ok at start up. after the
>car warms up it will start to miss on initial acceleration as the RPMs
>increase the miss stops?? first I looked at the fuel filters thinking it was a
>fuel blockage. not so. then I wondered about the Fuel pump????? not sure. the
>car still has original SU carbs, but has had an allison electronic ignition
>installed. the plugs look good,{bosch platnum} if electrics I wondered about
>the coil???
>well as you can see im puzzled, unless you all have some great ideas im going
>to start with the fuel system, drain tank check for debri that could be headed
>for the pump. then take the pump off take apart to check the screen. if thats
>all ok ill blow out the fuel line. sound ok so far? if that doesnt work I
>guess ill start on the electrics????
>any Ideas would be great..........
>Sean MUldoon.

Misses, especially low RPM ones, are more often ignition related. As long
as you're getting *some* fuel, it's better to start with the ignition
system, especially the distributor cap. Try to find out if the miss is on
just one cylinder by pulling plug wires. If you can find the bad cylinder,
you've eliminated the coil as a problem (I think...). My thinking is along
the lines of cap, rotor, or plug wires. Something as simple as a crack in
your cap can cause a low rpm miss, and draining the tank and taking the
pump apart seems like a lot of work unless you've ruled out more common
items (things that could often use replacement anyway). And rather than
take all that stuff apart, you should probably just flow test it, and if
it's putting out enough fuel, look elsewhere. Good luck.

Nevin