RE: "Crack of Doom"

To: FCheney@kinneyassoc.com
Subject: RE: "Crack of Doom"
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@mcione.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 20:23:58 -0600
And Fred,,,,,,,,,,,, because you asked for it,,,,,,,,, we bring you answers to
the "crack of doom" question.  This is a LONG compilation of the thread that was
on this list a couple of months ago.

Have fun, good luck.

Larry Hoy
Denver, CO. USA
1969 MGB Roadster
1970 MGB Roadster
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"

Rick Jennings wrote:

> Can anyone explain what needs to be done to repair the crack. What is the
> fix to keep it from happening again once fixed?

  What I did was to put a plate of steel behind the crack. I drilled
a half dozen holes in the doorskin on both sides of the crack, and
plug welded through them to attach the plate.

  Then weld up the crack, also welding it to the plate in the process.

  The welded up crack will hold, because the plate takes the
"design defect" stress off the area.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

ick Jennings wrote:

> Can anyone explain what needs to be done to repair the crack. What is the
> fix to keep it from happening again once fixed? I know this has been
> discussed before but I
> never had an them need.

Hi Rick:

Trevor has a good fix. A rather intelligent sounding fellow made an astute
observation quite awhile back. He believed the crack of doom was caused by
missalignment of the doors. If you look at the striker plate on your B and
notice there is some significant wear where the door latches, then this
induced stress at the weakest point aka the crack of doom.
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City
PS: If you don't notice the abnormal wear, then the guy must have been an