Re: PM

To: Hans Duinhoven <H.Duinhoven@simac.nl>
Subject: Re: PM
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 01:45:45 -0400
Hans Duinhoven wrote:

> Hi again Rene,
>
> Did you do this with the engine insitu?
> I might opt for the same job, as my car is near end of its restoration.
> Any hints and kinks in this?

  The sump is held on by about 20 bolts. 15 of them will come
out easily, the front 5 will make you swear in languages you
don't even know how to speak.

  In a nutshell, you have to open the front two engine
mounts, and then hoist the motor up. You should also check
that you aren't stretching any hoses or wires, I broke
the wire off my oil pressure sender doing this because
it was JUST long enough.

  Anyways, you will only be able to lift the engine a few
inches and you will start to lift the whole car.

  You will JUST be able to get the front five bolts out. My
"trick" if there is one is to weasle a socket in the gap,
put it on the bolt head, then turn the socket a fraction
of a turn at a time with a set of locking pliers. (vice
grips/mole grips)

  It is an AWFUL job. Personally, I don't think it's worth
it to clean the sump. On my Midget, I can remove the sump in
a few minutes and it might be worthwhile. But you will spend
a whole evening getting the sump off, and for that much
work I want MEASURABLE results. ;>

  I am told Rubber bumper cars are a bit easier, no
experience there. I beleive the front suspension member
has the mounts higher on it so there is already an inch
or so more space before you start lifting.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca