Re: HIF Carbs & Ported Vacumn

To: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: HIF Carbs & Ported Vacumn
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:41:46 -0500
Matt,
   After my round with the HIF's, no vacuum port and all, I went the  MG
Tech. bulletin board and searched for HIFs there.  It seems according to the
thread there that the HIF's did have that vacuum port in the UK market, but
that the US cars didn't.  Something about them trying anything to get around
the emissions legislation.  They also described how to modify the US HIF to
incorporate the vacuum port, and it basically drill out that plug you found
and with and bit a few thou. less than the size of the brass tubing you wish
to insert, and press in the tubing.  The hole should not be drilled through,
just enough to hold the tubing, then a small (0.020") hole drilled through
to the venturi area in the appropriate place just slightly upstream of the
closed throttle plate.  Result is no vacuum at idle, vacuum during
acceleration drifting back to no vacuum at full throttle.  It's supposed to
help the part throttle horsepower and acceleration, but probably doesn't do
a thing for the emissions.
   I'm going to try this on mine this weekend and see what happens.  It'll
either be a cheap fix if it works or an expensive one if it doesn't.
Harlan.