RE: HIF Carbs & Ported Vacumn

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: HIF Carbs & Ported Vacumn
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:10:06 -0400
I saved this message of Harlan's because my '74 B is running manifold vacuum
to the distributor.  I found the diagram in my Haynes which shows the vacuum
fitting on the bottom of the rear carb, but couldn't find it on the carb by
feeling around.  So last night I pulled the darn thing clean off the car,
flipped it over, and what do you know, but there's some sort of brass plug
in that hole.  Inside the carburetor bore, the top of that plug is hollow.
Either the brass nipple was very professionally changed with a
thimble-shaped plug, or the original nipple was very effectively broken off
and hammered flush.

Can anyone shed some light on this?  Is my '74 supposed to run on manifold
or ported vacuum advance?  Is this plugged vacuum hole normal?  If I'm
supposed to run ported, and am using vacuum instead, will this affect
anything besides engine temp. and emissions at idle?

As always, thanks.

Matt Kulka
'74 B