Re: lubricating speedo cable

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: lubricating speedo cable
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 08:32:44 -0400

Paul Hunt wrote:

<There are typically two types of bounce - a couple of times a second at
touring speeds, and one every two or three seconds occuring in time with
the trip odometer movement.  The former is usually the cable, I have
pulled this out, cleaned it, lubruicated with light oil and
re-inserted.  Won't help if strands are broken.  The latter was a dry
input shaft on the speedo on my car.  Removed the mechanism from the
case and put a drop of light oil on each end of the shaft after checking
all the odometer wheels were free.  The needle came off the shaft so I
jacked up the rear of the car and calibrated the speedo against the tach
with the transmission running in O/D top - 22mph per 1000rpm on my car>

I have the odometer problem and can caution on a couple points.

1. DO NOT LUBRICATE WITH WD40!!!  It dissolves the numbers on your dials.
Rust Check does likewise.

2. Be careful if you disassemble the odometer dials as some must not be
flipped over on reassembly.  There are friction ridges to grab the adjacent
wheel. The main roll does have alignment holes to help get everything back
together.

I am yet to determine the source of resistance in my odometer.  Lubricating
it did not correct the problem.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
71 BGT, etc.