Oil smoking Midget

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil smoking Midget
From: "Lie, Tore" <tore.lie@bates.no>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:23:36 +0100
My '61 Midget, which I have had for only a couple of months, is burning a
lot of 20W/50 oil, trailing clouds of blue smoke behind it. I naturally
suspect that worn bores or piston rings are the cause, but I have been told
that missing oil seals and a generally worn valve gear can also lead to
extreme oil consumption. Does anyone have experience with this?

If I need to change the piston rings, can this be done from below, with the
engine still in the car? The good thing about winter in Norway is that it
gives you months of glorious indoors time to work on the car...

Tore Lie
61 Midget
61 Morris Minor