RE: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Adventures in tipping (was adventures in towing)
From: mup1dm <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 98 14:20:08 -0000
>Ok, so having seen several responses, how does one know that they are
>getting service above and beyond. I would expect as part of the job
>that the tow fella would naturally take care of the car and ensure
>that the right tow job was done, and precautions were heeded to not
>scratch or hurt the car. Why would I tip a guy for doing what was, as
>far as I would think, is just a part of the job?
>
>Not trying to be inflamatory, just trying to understand...

One would think that not hurting the car was just part of the job,
but the evidence seems to be that many either don't know or don't
care enough to do a proper job. I tip partly out of self-interest:
I hope that the good ones get enough compensation that they remain
in the service job, as otherwise I will have to put up with the
bad ones in the future. When I lived in Montreal and used the
Metro frequently I always gave money to the good buskers (people
playing music) because if there wasn't a good busker in a station
there was invariably a BAD busker in the station. It wasn't so
much that I appreciated the good music, I really just wanted to
prevent bad music....

Douglas McKinnie
'72 B-GT