Re: B Tranny mounts

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <JustBrits@aol.com>
Subject: Re: B Tranny mounts
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:01:37 -0600
Thanks all, especially you ED, for your definitive answer on why trying to
replace mount rubber insitu is a mistake.

The consensus seems to be that it is doable, but a PITA from both the
'wiggling the wrench, hardware and item in confined spaces' aspect as well
as the marriage of trans and motor aspect once I'm done R/Ring the rear seal
and clutch.
I dinne wan' bend d' shafts nay men furrit, as my departed (Scot) Uncle Jim
would say!
That rear main seal has really had it...the little bellhousing hole can't
keep up, clutch slips after some driving, and even the seam between tranny
and engine is leaking now! (Am I the ONLY one who has this symptom with an
otherwise reliable, strong-engined B???)
Still runs great, but an ecological no-no. I call it my "self-changing
engine oil apparatus". I put oil in the top, it leaks out the bottom --
stays nice and fresh this way. (just kidding)
Anyone want to tell me if there are, by brand/distributor, "good" crank
seals and "bad" crank seals? Or what to look for as a cause?
I've decided not to rebuild the bottom end at this juncture, since it's just
not financially in the cards for now and like my carbs, it isn't broke (good
pressure, etc), just leaking at that back end, so I don't really want to
touch it for now -- just stop the leak and replace the clutch.
Thanks again.
Dan
73 B