Re: [Fwd: fuel]

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: fuel]
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 02:08:35 -0500
Barney Gaylord wrote:
> I'm no Midget expert, but just a wild guess.  If your car has a mechanical
> fuel pump on the side of the engine block, a leaky fuel pump diaphram will
> dump fuel directly into the crankcase.  You would need a new fuel pump.
>
> Go ahead and flame me.  I dunno if it even has mechanical fuel pump, but I
> ain't afraid to guess out loud.

  Correct guess. If the car is as original, it will have
the mechanical pump.

  I would also check the float valves. Depends on the type of weber
and configuration, but with a lot of carbs fuel can seep through
the valves, down the intake manifold, and into the cylinders.

  If it finds it's way in there say, from thermosiphon after the
car is shut down, it will have plenty of time to run by the rings
and into the crank case. I had this problem with an MGB once,
although it was also accompanied by noticeably rich running.

  My money would be on the mechanical fuel pump diaphragm. The
pump is rebuildable, or you can replace with an electric one
and use a blanking plate over that hole. My 75 Midget is
equipped with a Delco electric pump.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca