Demented Woodpecker

To: MG Listserver <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Demented Woodpecker
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:05:11 -0800
I just replaced the fuel pump on my '64 B (an ancient AC motor-driven pump
that looks big enough to fuel a B-17) with a Purolator/Facet electronic
one.  Yeah, I know I should have gone back to the SU, but the flared tubing
had been cut up, and the whole SU kit, including mounting, was fairly
expensive.

The biggest problem with all electronic pumps is that they are NOISY.
Sounds like a woodpecker trapped in an oil barrel-- not surprising 'cause
the pump is mounted in an enclosed central part of the body.  I've tried to
isolate it with rubber blocks and (on my last MGB-GT) with an old tranny
mount block separating the pump from the body.  It had no through-bolts,
but the rubber was pretty dense, and transmitted sound/vibration to some
degree.

So, here's the question.  Has anyone successfully acoustically isolated a
Facet pump?  How'd ya do it?

Chris Attias
'64 MGB