RE: dead MGB...

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@Crossroads.com>,
Subject: RE: dead MGB...
From: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:24:29 -0700
> Behalf Of John Steczkowski
> Well,  I sent email the other day about how my MGB had died. At that time I
> speculated that a wire had broken or something because the car was
> electrically dead.

"electrically dead" would mean to me that there is no electricity; no horn, no
lights, no start, etc.  This would not be a symptom of a bad solenoid.

> Well, I went to go look at fixing it and it ran fine. So,
> I drove it to work this morning, started fine, drove it to work with no
> incident. I went out to go get lunch and it did the same thing, started to
> crank, starter engaged, started to turn and then dead. As I was sitting
> there, I thought that maybe the starter solenoid was causing the problem. I
> got the lug wrench out of the trunk and wrapped the solenoid and it did the
> same thing, but didn't start.

Does "did the same thing, but didn't start" mean the car turned over?  If so,
this would still not indicate a bad solenoid.

> I now think that it's the solenoid that's bad, unfortuneatley, that doesn't do
me a bit of good as far as getting the car
> started.

If the car "cranks", that is turns over, and won't start, look for a problem
other than the solenoid.

If, on the other hand, sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesn't then you may
be right.

If the car just has no electrical power at all, but pounding around the
solenoid/starter area has an effect, then you might check all the wires,
especially the brown one with the friction spade connection, at the starter.
Make sure the MG "auto lube" system hasn't coated everything with oil.  Clean
and tighten all these terminals.

Good luck.

Larry Hoy, Denver, CO. USA
http://home.cwix.com/~larryhoy@cwix.com
1967 MGB Roadster, Vintage Racer
1969 MGB Roadster, Driver
1970 MGB Roadster, Fixer upper
1987 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, for the wife
"It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast"