Re: MGB Tube shock conversion

To: coleman@sd.aonix.com
Subject: Re: MGB Tube shock conversion
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 22:53:03 EST
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:05:36 -0800 "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
writes:
>I called Rancho Suspension's technical support line (800-574-6527) and
>the
>Rep said they had no direct conversion for Monroe Sensa-Trac No. 5877
>to a
>RS9000.  He did how ever suggest 2 possibilities:
>
>       Part No
>       RS9129  1" shorter than the extended length of the
>Monroe 5877
>       RS9119  1.5" longer in compressed length.

I can see an immediate problem here.
 1. The 1" shorter extended length will allow the weight of the rear
axle, etc to be supported by the shock itself (instead of the rebound
strap) in any situation where the frame rises relative to the axle (hard
cornering, jacking, etc) Result:  internal shock damage, minimum; broken
shock mounts worst case.

 2.  The 1.5" longer compressed length will cause the shock to bottom
internally before the axle hits the bump stop in cases of the frame
falling relative to the axle (hard cornering - inside shock; speed bumps,
etc) Result. Internal shock damage to bent/broken shock rods and/or
mounts.

Shocks should never (intentionally or accidentaly) be the limit to
suspension travel. Nothing good has ever been reported from such a
situation.

Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget